Saturday, August 31, 2019

Reflection: Power in Numbers

If I could summarize my first week of classes in a couple of words, it would be my feelings as a “small fish in a huge pond.” My self-identity as a “small fish” can only be explained by the piercing and everlasting passion that the global scholars' cohort has, as well as the freshman class in intellectual curiosity and for implementing change. Somehow, the academic passion and political atmosphere, one of the main reasons I applied to American, has become the most frightening thing. From my small town in northern New Jersey, I was one of the only politically involved students in my school and now I am attending one of the top politically active universities in the country. 


While at first, I found these differences in backgrounds intimidating and became lost in obsessing over my worth and value in a group that can contribute so much, I soon realized that mindset would not allow me to grow and evolve. It is admirable to view how all our different upbringings and roots have led us to American University as Global Scholars. I doubt I will ever not be, at least a little, overwhelmed, in the idea of how truly global we all are, but that is what inspires me. Hearing our discussions and seeing how each individual has so much to contribute, is truly inspiring. We are a school of fish, each one of us is vital for our academic survival. Our challenges make us stronger and build a new community that is not based on our pasts. 

In combination with the idea of community being formed over one event, The Truth About Awiti by CP Patrick showcases the theme of being a “small fish in a huge pond.” Although Awiti was the instigator in forming these destructive and terrifying storms, she needs the help of other slave spirits. One angry spirit is never enough and that is why Awiti gathered up a community of slaves. She built a strong army, connecting to all their waves of anger and uniting them through their desire for revenge. It is fascinating how powerful something can become when many small parts join together.

No comments:

Post a Comment