Sunday, September 1, 2019

Reflection - Learning Methods Week 1

The summer before last I went on a camping trip with my backpacking crew and stayed in the wilderness of the rocky mountains for two weeks. While I was there, I witnessed for the first time with my own eyes how big the world around us truly is. I was in awe, yet also became uneasy. In my first week of classes, I had a similar revelation, yet intellectually rather than physically. I realized while reading over syllabi and being introduced to new ways of studying the world that there is a vast amount of information to learn that I haven't even skimmed the surface of in my time so far as a student. While exciting, this change in perspective unsettled me at first.

Reflecting on the two books I've read so far for classes here at AmericanThe Truth About Awiti and Sixth ExtinctionI've come to view the study of historical events and trends as monumental to our understanding of the present world. This is especially true in regard to the current pressing issues that these two books discuss/relate to, namely, climate change and racism. Understanding how humans have historically had such a detrimental impact on the world around us can help us to improve as a society. If we as a whole can recognize the faults of the past, we can begin to individually take steps to contribute to a better world.

I'm looking forward to learning more about World Politics from creative angles such as novels, games, and discussions. This week in classes, I learned to appreciate the value of hands-on or unconventional learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment