Sunday, September 8, 2019

Reflection 2: Risks

Coming into this class I faced many fears because my concept of World Politics is not up to par in comparison to my Global Scholar counterparts. Personally, Politics is not my favorite area of interest, however, the passion that many people in this cohort express towards it may redirect my mindset and possibly give me a deeper love for politics interest towards politics. Coming into the program, it seemed easy to become overwhelmed by the prestige and who you are amongst in the program. However through the game of risk, I have found comfort in the realization that we are a stronger force when we work together. I am excited to see the creative strategies my peers and teammates present as the game progresses.

This past week was a challenge for me because I am trying my best to get back in the swing of the school environment after being out of school for 2 years. This included  developing  a new work ethic, new study habits, transitioning in my new sense of self as a student, finding balance, being disciplined, and accomplishing what would be in my best interest every moment. One shocking moment for me this week was the realization that I am still pretty unsure about what is is I want to do with myself professionally. Having a bridge-year was beneficial for me personally in an experience sense, and in the sense that I was forced to stretch myself in ways I have never had to, but as far as my studies and career focus I am still slightly lost. I teeter between wanting to get into diplomacy and service. Ultimately, the most important thing is for me to try my best to remain grounded and take the necessary steps needed for paving the path for my future, I am a strong believer in Living to work, and not working to live, so whatever I end up going into, it must be something I want to do, and that I feel happy doing. I am slowly becoming comfortable with being comfortable with not knowing in the present moment, because I understand I am still young, and I am doing my best to find my way. Essentially, I am learning that the game of life is truly a risk.

To bring it back to this weeks class, I am also interested in seeing how the rest of this game of risk goes (this is my first time playing it). In efforts to be a good scholar, I have begun reading Machiavelli's "The Prince", which is a book I know that many of my peers have already covered, but I have not, which makes me excited to be able to process the book with a fresh perspective. I look forward to the discussions around this text, and the different perspectives I will be introduced to as a result of this discussion. I have enjoyed how hands-on the Global Scholar experience of World Politics has been so far, which gives me a positive feeling that I will have a deeper appreciation for politics by the end of this course. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment