Sunday, September 22, 2019

Reflection: Machiavelli in the 21st Century

One of the things I most enjoyed about our class meetings this week was the true implementation of everyone being forced out of their comfort zone. When we were asked if we supported Machiavelli or not, I felt extremely strong in my interpretation that I had no way of proving Machiavelli wrong. I saw vacancies in his writing, but overall, I saw how the success of a ruler would increase if abiding by many of his points. Upon being told we were then going to support the opposing side, I had no idea how I could view the entire treatise in a completely different lense. This debate proved to be the most influential in my understanding of Machiavelli and his points, as it pushed me to read between the lines and support a side that undermined the legitimacy and reputation of The Prince. This debate led to completely alter my perception of Machiavelli as I feel my understanding and appreciation for the complexity of this treatise has been enhanced the many ways it is viewed as both a satire to an authoritarian guidebook. 
Another interesting component of our classes this past week was our open discussion in which everyone was left to speak their opinions without being restrained to one specific side. In reference to how Machiavelli’s The Prince could be applied to today's politics, a majority of the class made comparisons to the fear tactics that past and current United States presidents have had. I was particularly interested in a comment made that, in some ways, President Trump and his chaotic, unpredictable stream of leading, may be an advantage for American foreign policy. As someone who is not in support of the Trump administration, I often find it hard to acknowledge any benefits or successes of the President, however, this point opened my eyes more to the mindset that Trump’s supporters have, and their legitimate points. I look forward to these debates and discussions that are student led because I find so much variation in understanding and perspectives within the Global Scholars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment