Sunday, September 15, 2019

Reflection 3: Challenge & Pressure


Image result for Risk of life


"Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise" ~Unknown~


Competition, adrenaline, and probability. What were the odds that I would have been chosen to be Head of State? When I first learned I was given such a huge responsibility, I was afraid. I questioned my ability to carry out the requirements of the position, but with the help of my team, we were able to maintain a  positive streak up until we decided to take a huge risk that cost us a lot of money and many armies.  This one decision almost cost us the game.

One of the most nerve wrecking responsibilities for me as Head of State was having the responsibility to battle in war through rolling the dice. Even though, majority of the time, I found myself rolling good rolls, the high expectation for me to maintain that consistency was very nerve wrecking. However, it always helped that I constantly reminded myself that it was only a game. Being head of state literally places the fate of your team in your hands.One lesson I learned playing the game of risk, is to never overestimate your abilities because you don't know which secret power an opposing team may have waiting up their sleeve. To be successful in the game risk one must be tactful, wise, careful, and strategic. Making a move that may seem like a power move on the surface may cause implications that end up costing your team the game.

Outside of World Politics, I am learning which classes are actually becoming very challenging for me, and I am working on creating strategic plans to make sure that I still do well in my most challenging courses. Taking a 2 year gap-year has had a major impact on my math skills, which I am learning in my math course. I am also realizing the importance of taking my Macroeconomics class serious because economics is an important foundation of my degree. Another challenge I am facing is the burden of knowing that I MUST do well here at AU. Being the oldest child in my intermediate family means that there is a lot of weight balancing on my shoulders to be a good example and maintain a positive streak (the same way I was expected to in our game of risk). Ultimately, I am fine with accepting that every move that I make in my life will not be a perfect move, but if I am tactful, thoughtful, and aware the moves I make in life, though risky, will still end up working out for my overall good. I am open, ready, and willing to learn from the risks of life.

Sources: https://byrslf.co/life-lessons-on-taking-risks-f7772426caeb

No comments:

Post a Comment