Sunday, September 1, 2019

Reflection One: Strength

Examining C.P Patrick's challenging novel, “The Truth About Awiti” evoked many emotions for me. It made me ponder on the topic of who I am, and who I could have been if the transatlantic slave trade did not occur. The book put me in a mindset of deep reflection, and gratitude. I admire my ancestors for their resilience as they survived the turbulent plight of slavery.  In the novel, the chapter that hit home for me was chapter two, entitled “White Faces, Black Faces”. The chapter highlighted the horrors of the abductions of the Africans who were ripped from their beloved homelands and taken elsewhere. This chapter highlighted Ansa’s heavy cross, and his treacherous adventure into slavery as he was stripped of everything and everyone he loved. The predators even stripped him, along with other African of their manhood and dignity. Ansa described it as being “...beyond pride” (Patricks, 31). All were placed in a position far past vulnerability because of the unknowing. “Each man tried to make the burden lighter for the man behind him, but in time, many men fell” (33).  This led me to contemplate the reality of certain events in the human life, and how sometimes escaping is not the option. There are times when no one else can make our loads any lighter, and we are stuck with only one of two options: either give up, or continue the fight as long as we can. Ansa was a representation of a symbol of strength. His experience matured him, and forced him to grow despite the pain of his freshly inflicted wounds. 

Below you will see an ancient West-African Adinkra symbol called the Ananse Ntontan, which is a symbol of "symbol of wisdom, creativity and the complexities of life"(Adinkra.org). This symbol represents  the energy I want to carry for this school-year .

ananse ntontan

Outside of reading CP Patrick’s novel, I have spent my time trying to create healthy habits for my college journey. This includes: developing healthy study habits, finding social balance, improving my self discipline, and self-motivation. In relation to this class, I hope to increase my knowledge in World Politics. During these first few weeks, I have struggled with questions like: What have you gotten yourself into? Can you handle this program? Do you deserve to be here? How can I contribute to this world and university with meaningful impact? I have been bright, but never the brightest. I graduated from a rigorous high-school, but is that enough? Neither one of my parents graduated high-school, so what makes me good enough to do better than them. It is my fight, and my journey. It is the way I have hopped lives hurdles with resilience and never gave up. It’s my strength as an independent woman. It is my power to run the world because Beyonce said so! This is only the beginning, and I am excited to see growth, power, and integrity. Not only within myself, but within the entire 2022 Global Scholar Cohort. I am more than excited to dive into the strong community of learning AU has to offer. I pray to absorb positivity and contribute positively. AU and Global Scholars, thank you for welcoming me. Only the strong survive!
Sources:
 Patrick, C. P. The Truth about Awiti. Field Order Press, 2015.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment