Sunday, September 29, 2019

How Has it Only Been ONE Month?

This past week marked the one month anniversary of our move into college. To me, that seemed insane as I honestly feel as if I have only ever lived on this campus and the idea of showering not in flip flops is only an absurd fantasy. In one month, so much has changed. 
In high school, I was taught of Machiavelli, Hobbes v. Locke, Alexander Hamilton and all of these political trailblazers based on their summaries and main ideas. This has led me to latch a divinity and out-of-touch perspective on these individuals and their writings, as I have only referred to them through this mindset that their words were only to be read by professionals and experts in the field. While this viewpoint is reflective of my insecurities, it made me continue having to give myself a reality check when reading The Prince, A Letter Concerning Toleration, and The Federalist Papers. While reading their words, unredacted (for the most part, as Machiavelli’s was a translation), I have been forced to place these historical and influential thinkers in a category of any other author I have read. Their words, analyzed, satirized, praised, and condemned by the world for centuries, have entered my brain and I have been involved in discussions and debates over their main intention. 
This awe maybe just from me, but I cannot help but continue to feel so lucky for the opportunities that American has offered me thus far. In many ways, I like having to keep pinching myself for the life and experiences I am having at AU, as it reminds me just how impactful international relations major can be. It will be strange when, if ever, it is normalized for me to visit global embassies and read the work of such influential political thinkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment