Sunday, September 22, 2019

Adventure and Discussion -- Week 4 Reflection

This week I had the opportunity to go downtown with a family friend to the Kennedy Center REACH festival. The REACH is a free public event that the Kennedy Center is sponsoring to commemorate the opening of its new REACH plaza. Extra funds in the Kennedy Center budget have been used to build a plaza full of new performance halls, child learning labs, gardens, art, auditoriums, VR labs and more. Tickets were free so we got passes to a super unique event that the REACH festival was hosting: the "Time-Machine Roast". It was advertised as a "humorous and critical modern look at the legacy of monumental historical figures." While I definitely thought the show would be funny, I didn't expect it to be as vulgar or hostile as it was... for sure not PG-13. Despite the bawdy, out-there roasts of the likes of Christopher Columbus, Johnny Cash, Emily Dickenson, Jim Henson, etc, I still really enjoyed the show and had a great time exploring the visionary new addition to the Kennedy Center.

It was great to get out and attend a festival like that, but life back at AU this week wasn't too bad either. In my Chinese class, we took a large chapter test that I thankfully did pretty well on. For a super challenging class, I'm happy with the progress I'm making (especially considering how much work goes into it). I also am enjoying our class discussions on realism and Machiavelli. The different styles of learning with our debate vs. the class "Yankee baseball" discussion were both valuable ways to analyze Machiavelli and learn about each other's opinions.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the various theories of politics and how they pertain to our world today. With more activities and discussions, I'm sure we will all learn not just about the readings we are analyzing, but also about each other and society as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment