Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Without Representation

As a member of the Republic of China, we are huge fans of I-Kiribati, especially after their recognition and acceptance of our newly implemented One China policy (Wikipedia). However, the first issue we had to address was the fact that we deserve to take over the dredging contract, despite what Van Oort says about their experienced dredging. One thing that one should think about before siding with such a company is the fact that they were accused of dumping illegal waste near Indonesia, which resulted in one of their dredgers being seized (Maritime Bulletin). How can one trust a company that is having their dredgers seized to successfully carry out a dredging project. Furthermore, if sustainable dredging is what we are aiming for, Van Oort the waste dumping company cannot be trusted to maintain an environmentally friendly dredging plan. Their efforts will leave Kiribati as an ongoing project and the I-Kiribati people will never have a chance to get back to their beloved land of Kiribati. As a country, we have reflected our concern and care for the I-Kiribati people China is concerned not only for the project of dredging, but also and most importantly for the safety and well-being of the I-Kiribati people who support our one China policy, which has been respected through our economic aid we’ve been providing Kiribati with (Wikipedia).

Overall, I felt that the simulation was very confusing and it was hard to get all of our ideas out with the set-up. I did enjoy hearing the creative conversation, and watching my classmates execute their gift of debate. One thing that really struck me about simulation two, was the fact that dredging was such a dominant factor in the discussion and not the people of I-Kiribati. If there were more focus on the people of Kiribati, the transformation of our policy would have been even more time consuming because of the debate that would have ensued over human rights. If an I-Kiribati representative were present, then there would be a better communication around what the I-Kiribati people really need and want from outsiders trying to help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment