Sunday, November 17, 2019

College Gave me a Home Upgrade

This week, I reflected a lot on the idea of home. With Thanksgiving coming soon, I keep finding myself saying I am excited to come back home… as in back to AU. This idea is completely wackadoodle as I have lived in New Jersey for 18 years and only here for 3 months. In a conversation over TDR, my friends were reiterating the idea of home being found in people and not in places. Although it is easy to love DC more than New Jersey… I mean, NJ doesn't get bad stereotypes for no reason, I still feel that AU has become my home because of the people I am surrounded by daily. The community built here has pushed and challenged me while also providing comfort and relentless love. I feel so lucky that AU has brought so many beautiful people into my life that make it feel like home. 
With the idea that people are home, I am looking forward to seeing some of my friends
from New Jersey over Thanksgiving break as I am excited to hear about their new homes at college. Although going back to NJ will be sad not being able to see my sister as she is working at Disney World until January, so this will be the longest stretch that we will not be able to see each other. Although technology is amazing, facetime misses out on a lot of things. 
Facetime did prove useful this past class. It was an interesting experience having a facetime call running our class, however, it was a fun experience to see how it came out. Must have been a funny thing for an outsider to see a bunch of students yelling to the computer about Columbus’ “chosen ignorance”. I am looking forward to the return of our normal class dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment