Saturday, November 9, 2019

Giving Back: Reflection 9

Reflecting on my childhood and my community back home, I have really been trying to think about what the best way to give back would be. I constantly ask myself questions like: How can I repay the people who have had such a huge impact on my development and my path as a n individual? How can I become the young woman that would have made my Pawpaw proud? And Lastly, how can I manage to become the best human I can possibly be? In the end, I just want to be able to say that my parents didn’t produce a wasteful product. I have also thought about the value of making the world a better place through contributing to the community by being a citizen who contributes to the good of society. 


When determining what I plan to contribute, I thought of one consistent downfall of my community; its education. Coming from a community that is suffering from the effects of the opportunity and achievement gap, one is surrounded by different perception of what it means to ‘live a good life’. Some individuals in my community believe that the good life is smoking weed everyday and staying out of jail or having mass drinking parties and drinking until they end of doing stuff that will put them in jail or change their lives forever. Some are even satisfied with the bare minimum that life offers. I would like to work on the issue of bridging the opportunity and achievement gap in my community by pursuing a career in education policy and working on improving curriculum. By pursuing a career in education policy, I will be able to work towards building the bridge between the gaps associated with the opportunity and achievement gap, which will be an ongoing life project.

No comments:

Post a Comment