Sunday, November 10, 2019

Reflection Week #11

This week passed by in a blur. Nadia, my roommate, kept talking about how long it was but honestly it flew by for me. 

Things finally started to look up for my health on Monday, when we got the diagnosis of haemophilus influenzae (basically bacterial flu) and I started to take antibiotics. As the days passed I did my best to catch up on work until we finally decided I was ready (enough) to go back to school on Wednesday. Being at school was definitely a contrast to being at home and since I still had a cough, I knew I had to take it slow.

On Thursday morning my body decided to wake me up at the ungodly hour of 5:45 AM and didn't seem to want me to go back to sleep. I knew my coughing and tossing and turning was bothering Nadia and had woken her up, so I finally decided that I was just going to start my day. I watched some Designated Survivor in the lounge with our lounge mouse for company until I ended up going to TDR and eating a proper-ish breakfast for once while watching more Designated Survivor. Class was interesting but honestly my brain was so out of it from being up since 5:45 AM that I sadly was not paying attention to the conversation as much as I had wanted to. However, the discussion I had with PTJ during office hours completely made my day. We talked briefly about what had been covered over the last couple of classes, but eventually our conversation turned to wealth on a micro level and international development, something that I'm very passionate about. It was one of those conversations where you and the person you're talking to are constantly engaged and instantly jumping off of what the other is saying and it brought me a lot of joy to be able to have that kind of conversation with someone I respect so much. I love talking about international development and even brought in the resource of Dollar Street, a website that illustrates through pictures how people live all over the world with different levels of monthly income. To be able to tie that tool that I used last year in my Human Geography class to what we were talking about in class was really cool because I love being able to build off of things I've learned or used in the past with what's happening in the present.

After that intellectually energizing conversation I did take a much deserved nap and powered through the rest of my day which included my first actual rehearsal for A Doll's House! I was a bit nervous about it because we had to have our lines memorized but luckily I'm only in one scene so that wasn't too difficult! Since I haven't really had rehearsals and haven't interacted with most of the people involved in the show on a regular basis I've been feeling somewhat disconnected with the production, but after that one rehearsal I'm really excited to start putting the whole show together this week!

Saturday did bring some surprisingly good experiences as I had a great time filming the broadcast with ATV News and enjoyed the community salsa dancing class I attended. I really enjoy filming for ATV because I get to tap into a skillset that I don't normally use and it's a really fun creative outlet for me! I also enjoy it because it's helping to build my AU community and I can't seem to get enough of that! In terms of the salsa class, I was honestly expecting to dislike it a lot, but it was such a positive experience! Everyone there wanted to be there which really does influence what everyone gets out of the class. I learned some new moves and was pushed out of my comfort zone a bit, but it helped me remember how much I love dancing and what a great outlet it is for me creatively but also athletically.

I'm hoping this cough goes away soon, and I'm looking forward to what this week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment