Sunday, November 17, 2019

Reflection Week #12

The Conquest of America has been quite an interesting read. After our discussions concerning colonization, it's been fascinating to read about one of the first colonizers. Reading about actions that he took is hilarious on some accounts but also disgusting to know that his actions were widely accepted. To go back in time to essentially the beginning of so many issues really puts into perspective how institutionalized oppression of native peoples are and how colonization has been causing problems for so many years.

I also feel like it's very timely to read this book with Thanksgiving coming up. The holiday and this book bring about conversations concerning our country's history, the systematic oppression of native people, and community, and I think it's beneficial to have those conversations. My roommate Nadia and I were discussing this book in the context of Thanksgiving and we both recognized that while the origins of the holiday were less than favorable, it's become a holiday that's very important and wholesome. The idea that Thanksgiving has been rebranded to represent community, family, and unity shows how something can be turned completely on its head. Even though the holiday was founded in dividing people between the pilgrims and the natives, or the "others," it now creates unity among families and communities who come together and I think there's a lot of power in that.

In terms of life in general, A Doll's House performs next weekend! It's kind of crazy how we put this show together in three weeks but it's been really rewarding to see everything coming together. I've been spending more time at rehearsal so I've been getting closer with the different members of the cast and I really like working with these people who I didn't necessarily know before. I think there's something powerful about theater because you can start a production not knowing anyone very well, but by the end of it you've become very close to several people and created a real family. Theater is at its core community building and that's one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Speaking of theater, I went to see my high school's fall play on Friday night. It was incredible to see my friends who are still in high school put on such a great show and I was so proud of them. It did, however, sadden me because it reminded me that life moves on even when I'm not part of it. It made me realize that I have to work on distancing myself from high school more because right now I'm still very attached to it and it causes a lot of emotional stress that I don't need. It's definitely something I know I have to work on but I'm not quite sure how at the moment. Right now, all my attention is focused on work for my classes and the play, so we'll see how both of those things turn out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment