Sunday, October 20, 2019

Calling 2-fix More than my Mom

This past week has been a blur, a blur of the Space Force and catching up, mainly the space Force though. With our first essay in World Politics, there was a different buzz circulating Letts 6, and it was impossible to escape a conversation on constructivism, liberalism, or realism, all about Trump's space plan. Friday at 5 pm brought the largest collective sigh and since then, the grind was rebooted for everyone to catch up on other class's work. For me, this entire week has felt misplaced. Every day felt like a day it was not and the sudden turn to cold with a returning mouse to my dorm room did not help in the case of my life’s dissonance. The mouse situation has led me to develop a close relationship with 2-fix… with the manager even texting me to call her. However, I have noticed I am slowly, very very slowly, becoming desensitized to these mice. This idea of desensitization is something that greatly interests me. In this generation, we have become so desensitized to violence, guns, and countless other atrocities that used to cause a national or societal uproar. Although mice never caused a national uproar they are not something I am used to seeing so often. With this thought, I find there is a small sliver of similarity between being desensitized to something and being naive. Although to become desensitized you must be exposed to something for a matter of time, being naive is the same, with the absence of exposure. I was naive about what it was like to live with a mouse, but since experiencing it I have become desensitized. In our class discussion of the center and margins, I further realized a bit more of this difference between being naive and desensitized. In many ways, I have become desensitized to how I may be in the margins by being a woman. I have lived with and been surrounded by so many discreet signs of inequality that many times I have to remind myself that certain experiences should not be the norm. On the other hand, I naturally fall closer to the center by coming from a white and suburban household. It is with these issues that I feel naive to them as I cannot experience what a large portion of the world does. Despite my attempts to listen and understand those experiences from those different from me, I feel that I will always be a little naive due to my inability to truly switch lives. Unlike the mouse situation, we were all born how we were meant to and our lives cross for reasons we cannot control, as I can only become desensitized to things that I experience. Maybe some force has led me to experience this mouse problem and maybe, hopefully a better, force has led me to meet so many wonderful people in gloscho, those with incredibly diverse and intricate backgrounds that make me realize how important it is to know where I am naive and where I cannot experience things first hand but must rely on the accounts and stories of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment