Sunday, October 20, 2019

Humor -- Week 8

After the serious topics we were discussing in class last week and the learning I did about my own family's experience with oppression and persecution based on my identity, I needed an outlet and began to talk with my roommate about what was on my mind. I learned about his family, he learned about mine, and we both began to joke around about the similarities and differences in our upbringings as a result of our cultures. That's when I was reminded yet again about the power humor has to bring people together and make people feel better. The idea of "laughter as the best medicine" is a cliche that is used a lot, but the truth of it is understated.

I began to realize this week that when I'm stressed out or down about something, I cope sometimes by joking around and making others smile or laugh. It helps me feel better to see those I'm around laughing and to laugh with them. When that happens, there is an air of happiness that feels warm and exhilarating.

Humor has played an essential role for me in meeting new people so far this semester and trying to diffuse tricky situations. Its a useful tool in life to be able to control humor and I hope that its something I can be good at into the future. Its important to relax in the face of difficulty and hardship, refusing to take trivial drawbacks too seriously and growing because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment