Thursday, October 10, 2019

Reflection Week #7

Confusion, stress, memories, and learning were big themes this week.

After going to Gabby's briefing on constructivism, I thought I vaguely understood it. After reading the article however, I was pretty confused but hoped the class discussion the next day would clear things up. I could not have been more wrong. Listening to the inner circle's conversation in class, I was so extremely confused as to how people had gotten their points out of the reading and what constructivism really was. I decided to not even consider writing the blogpost because I was just so lost. I knew I had to reach out and get help, and once I talked to PTJ I felt so much better. He helped me realize that I was on the right track and that I wasn't really as far off as I thought I was. I've actually noticed myself starting to think about constructivism when reading things for other classes and it makes me glad that I have at least somewhat of a grasp on it!

The space simulation in class today brought back some really happy memories of my overnight at AU last year and reminded me why I ended up choosing this school. A little over a year ago I spent the night with a Global Scholar and learned more about AU and SIS. PTJ also taught a simulation IR class where he used the same space simulation. Getting to do something so hands on with a topic that I'm so passionate about got me excited for college and I knew that AU would provide me the environment I needed in which to flourish. Even though I've had some low points, my classes have been pretty interesting and I've been having a good time!

One of those low points has been the past week and likely this upcoming week because of, you guessed it, midterms. My midterms are all papers, and while that's a good thing because I can take as much time as I want and edit them until I feel ready to submit them, it also means I have to do a lot of writing in the next week. I wouldn't be that stressed except that I have Model G20 this weekend which means my free time is basically nonexistent. I made a plan for how I was going to tackle all of my work for the next week which did help me feel like I had everything together, but also seemed to stress me out more to just see everything all laid out. I feel like I'm sacrificing a lot of things just to get my work done right now but I also know that this is just a period of time that will pass and once it's over I can destress by doing something fun with friends.

I'm looking forward to G20 this weekend and seeing if I can actually use or identify any realist, liberalist, or constructivist actions among the other delegations! Here's to getting through midterm season (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment