Sunday, October 13, 2019

Writer's Block: Afraid-- Reflection 6

I have always been a writer, and I have always been a dreamer. I am realizing that now is the time for me to become more of a doer. I’ve began to question my actions. Am I doing enough? Am I saying enough? Or am I saying too much through my silence. This girl...Afraid of what? Afraid of life. Afraid to smile. Afraid to breathe. Afraid of ease. Afraid of everything,but still fearless. 


My manager and I have begun a personal challenge that involves challenging each other as writers. Every week we choose a poetry prompt and we write. No boundaries, no filter, and no fear. We become fearless on paper, and vulnerable to each other's critique. Returning to writing has been a challenge for me! Participating in this opportunity sparked my interest to begin my journey exploring D.Cs creative writing scene. I ended up attending a poetry reading featuring an American University staff member as the organiser and the two poets, being members of the Cave Canem. It took place in a very intimate bookstore, and hearing the two poets reminded me to revisit my own writing. I’ve always dreamed of publishing my poetry. When I felt most motivated to do so, I was shot down, so I gave up on it. I found my inspiration to writing being a broken heart and sealed lips. Paper and pen became my puppets. They expressed, they performed, and they voiced my inner self.


This coming week marks a time for me to face a fear: My first World Politics paper. I always find myself at a loss for words when it comes to the topic of world politics. However, everyday I learn something new and I am always being given new factoids to ponder, and new topics to look deeper into. I am highly interested in the challenge I will face as I the new paper. Hopefully, I can make this paper as intimate as I make my personal writing. Not in the same exact way, but at least to the point to where I stand toe to toe with my opponent, which in this case would be my argument. I want to know and understand it differently. I want to be able to deliver a piece of work that is more than just last minute shenanigans. I hope I am able to formulate a strong argument for my analysis paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment