Friday, October 11, 2019

Eurovision With a Touch of Constructivism

It was a Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning when I found myself amongst an unexpected and full discussion based on constructivism, this conversation is somewhat summarized in Xandra’s blog post.  For me, this time with delirium seeping in, and listening to the music of a concert I attended only hours before, the button clicked on what constructivism is. Finally obtaining a greater grasp on constructivism was just what I had been racking my brain to do all week. However, I had no intention of even thinking about constructivism at that time, in fact, I was reading an article about Ukraine's role in setting a new trend for Eurovision after their win in 2004. This article focused on whether or not this trend of self- exoticism and essentialism was supporting cultural appropriation or was simply representing the individuality of the country. 
There was something said in Friday’s class that helped me realize why constructivism has posed such a roadblock for my mind to drive through. Although simple, constructivism is not something new, nor is realism or liberalism. These all exist as theories that explain actions and behaviors we are already undertaking. That is why, during our late night, or early morning chat, I felt epiphanic in realizing the layers of existence and how constructivism can be at play at the same time as a realist or liberal action, however on a different plane. 
This new discovery led me thinking back to Eurovision, obviously. From a constructivist perspective, all the new competitors in Eurovision felt compelled to perform in reference to the exotic and essentialist dances that have been successful in years past. This, I feel, is constructivism with a spin of realism as the competitors are seeking power by winning the competition. I definitely see my epiphany as only starting to comprehend events through a constructivist mindset, however it is still a relief to at least be on the right path. If anyone needs a short break, here is the 2004 Ukrainian performance at Eurovision: https://youtu.be/10XR67NQcAc

No comments:

Post a Comment